Sunday 9 November 2008

Old Woodlands Central

Pay a visit to the hawker centre @ old Woodlands central last Mon. Suddenly realise I've not eaten here for a long long time...since...can't really remember (that's really lost in history). This is the place where I spent my childhood. My parents are running a shop over there, so they brought me along as well, and this continue till pri 2. I didn't turn into an entrepreneur though, but became quite an artist. According to my mum's testimony, I'm so guai that I could just sat down at the shop drawing the whole day long...I just won't step out of the shop. Strangely, I didn't end up being an artist (Perhaps I'm not destined to be one after all. I began to abandon the habit of drawing when I entered secondary school and failed my art subject quite a number of times).

I'm quite a familiar face at the hawker centre. Most of the hawkers know me as that "ah boy". There's a few stalls I frequented - that wanton mee stall, that one selling chicken rice, that selling hor fun and that yong tau fu stall...can't really remember...are they still around? Yes, that 来兴wanton mee still there (I'm used to be quite fat and claimed that the credit should go to that wanton mee). Still remember seeing some actors in their Chinese swordfighting drama costume having lunch while I indulged in my wanton mee (SBC used to shot their period drama in the Woodlands park. The park is now foreign workers' haven...u can see them lying/loitering all around the park). The wanton mee lady won't recognise me by now... I've grown too tall and too old to be ah boy now...As for that yong tau foo, western food stall, they've gone extinct since...when?

Order a hor fun. Is this the same old stall which I had my hor fun when I was a kid? Can't remember...but the taste...it tastes familiar. Order an ice kachang...that stall looks familiar, I think I'd frequented that stall before... that ice kachang...it's still look the same, yes, I remember that pink-cum-yellow ice cone...it still looks so tall and delicious...


Remember that KFC? Amazingly it has survive till this day, though the inner furnishings have changed. Despite the rise and fall of a number of fast food restaurants over the years - A&W, Pizza Hut, and some other name-which-I-have-forgotten - KFC still reign supreme. Some of my happiest moment in my childhood day is to have a bite of that fried chicken (because mum always keep me away from all unhealthy stuff!). Life was so simple then...


Oh that cinema with that Shaw Brothers logo! It's no longer running any films (all cinemas are now moved to shopping centre), but that continue to serve as a reminder of that chapter in our nation culture history. Can't remember watching any films in there...I think there's one...so long long ago when I was just a kid who just want to grow up...who cares about all that minute details? All the sight... so familiar...yet so distant...

No comments: